Let me phrase Brian's comment differently.
Presume we actually get wide use of the flow label in accordance with the load balancing draft.

What can go wrong? Well, someone could send all their traffic with a single flow label, reducing the randomness. So what goes wrong. All of that subscribers traffic ends up on a single link. Mostly, that means that if he does this, he increases the likelihood that his traffic will get damaged. Seems unlikely he would choose to do that.

We coudl fo course view this as a deliberate attack. But, in fact, it is an attack that could already be done. The subscriber simply sends all his traffic with a single set of ports (source and dest). That will have the exact same effect on the current system that a fixed flow-label would have under the proposed behavior.

So I do not see why the network needs to "control" the flow label, any more than it needs to "control" the ports the subscriber uses.

Yours,
Joel