On Feb 19, 2013, at 9:31 AM, Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le 18/02/2013 22:07, Roger Jørgensen a écrit :
>> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Scott Brim <s...@internet2.edu>
>> wrote:
>>> I have the usual concerns about privacy.  I have no problem with
>>> someone knowing the endpoint that is communicating is associated
>>> with a vehicle (or that I, a human, am communicating from a
>>> vehicle).  However, if someone can map easily from an IP address to
>>> a VIN (thus knowing the specific vehicle from which the
>>> communication is happening), and I have no choice but to reveal
>>> that information in order to communicate at all, I am not
>>> comfortable.  In general, as an architectural principle, I want the
>>> option to control how much personal information I reveal.  That's
>>> called privacy.
>
> Scott,
>
> I agree privacy is important.
>
> An alternative method from R. Bless proposes to use a SHA output in the
> prefix field of an address.  This has an advantage with respect to
> privacy - it's hardly feasible to reversely derive the VIN of the
> vehicle from the IPv6 address, slide 6 of
> http://www.lara.prd.fr/_media/ipv6-its/2012-03-26-seis-kit-ietf83-its.pdf

Actually, I suspect that if the "OEM-specific-256bit Key" gets exposed then
determining the VIN will be fairly trivial -- I guess the answer is simply
"well, don't leak the key then"?

It is unclear to me who exactly generates the address -- if the manufacturer
calculates it before it leaves the factory then this isn't as likely as if the
vehicle does (because it would then need the key somewhere)…

> That method alone has certain advantages, but also drawbacks.
>
> If we consider the problem to be as simple as "how to form IPv6
> addresses in a vehicle?" then one realizes that just forming a ULA
> prefix for _within_ the vehicle may not be enough.  Communication
> outside the vehicle (e.g. between two vehicles) may involve links which
> may not be just plain Ethernet, and hence impossible to just use RFC2464
> LL addresses on the outside of the vehicle.
>
> In some cases it _is_ possible to get along with just LL/Ethernet
> addresses between vehicles, but if/when
> geonetworking/other-vehicular-link-layers are used, then that may not be
> enough.
>
> All in all, depending on the problem, the VIN-based addresses may be
> necessary, provided that privacy concerns are addressed.
>
> Alex
>

>> Actual the problem is much simpler, it's not that easy to get the
>> unique ID of a vehicle today, however with the proposed solution it
>> become extremely easy. Sort of the same idea that caused IPv6 to
>> create all IPs based on the mac address... we know how that ended, we
>> created the privacy option.
>>
>> Do we want todo it all over again?

It's a mistake trying to cheer up camels. You might as well drop meringues into
a black hole. -- Terry Prachett