Le 18/02/2013 22:07, Roger Jørgensen a écrit :
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Scott Brim <s...@internet2.edu>
wrote:
I have the usual concerns about privacy.  I have no problem with
someone knowing the endpoint that is communicating is associated
with a vehicle (or that I, a human, am communicating from a
vehicle).  However, if someone can map easily from an IP address
to a VIN (thus knowing the specific vehicle from which the
communication is happening), and I have no choice but to reveal
that information in order to communicate at all, I am not
comfortable.  In general, as an architectural principle, I want
the option to control how much personal information I reveal.
That's called privacy.

Actual the problem is much simpler, it's not that easy to get the
unique ID of a vehicle today, however with the proposed solution it
become extremely easy. Sort of the same idea that caused IPv6 to
create all IPs based on the mac address... we know how that ended,
we created the privacy option.

Well I agree with you in a sense.  Connecting a vehicle to the Internet
in that way makes it easier than before to find its VIN.

However, may I add that the VIN of a vehicle is very easy to get.  It is
displayed under the shield and by legislation it must be visible, for
cases like e.g. recover at accident scenes.  Despite its little font,
it's as visible as the license plate (I can send a photo if you wish, or
you could check a car's windshield bordering the frame). Nobody complains about the visibility of the license plate.

Do we want todo it all over again?

No.

Privacy is a strong concern and we should take it into account, yes.

Alex