On 02/19/13 09:23, Alexandru Petrescu allegedly wrote:
> Well I agree with you in a sense.  Connecting a vehicle to the Internet
> in that way makes it easier than before to find its VIN.
>
> However, may I add that the VIN of a vehicle is very easy to get.  It is
> displayed under the shield and by legislation it must be visible, for
> cases like e.g. recover at accident scenes.  Despite its little font,
> it's as visible as the license plate (I can send a photo if you wish, or
> you could check a car's windshield bordering the frame).  Nobody
> complains about the visibility of the license plate.

How someone might walk along the street and see a VIN has nothing to do
with Internet privacy.  If this mapping mechanism is adopted, one MUST
reveal the specific vehicle communicating in order to communicate at
all.  That is not "taking privacy into account".  Most people have no
idea what can be derived from correlated data.