Hi Alex,

On 19.02.2013 15:31, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
> I agree privacy is important.
>
> An alternative method from R. Bless proposes to use a SHA output in the
> prefix field of an address.  This has an advantage with respect to
> privacy - it's hardly feasible to reversely derive the VIN of the
> vehicle from the IPv6 address, slide 6 of
> http://www.lara.prd.fr/_media/ipv6-its/2012-03-26-seis-kit-ietf83-its.pdf
>
> That method alone has certain advantages, but also drawbacks.

> If we consider the problem to be as simple as "how to form IPv6
> addresses in a vehicle?" then one realizes that just forming a ULA
> prefix for _within_ the vehicle may not be enough.  Communication

This is sufficient for the onboard communication network, which was
the problem we addressed. ULAs are a good match, since these addresses
should not leak.

> outside the vehicle (e.g. between two vehicles) may involve links which
> may not be just plain Ethernet, and hence impossible to just use RFC2464
> LL addresses on the outside of the vehicle.

Our model was to have a security gateway for external connectivity
and we assume that we may have various different access technologies
such as LTE, WLAN, Bluetooth, and so on, i.e., multi-homing and
changing addresses.

I don't see any requirement to use algorithmically
defined VIN-based addresses _between_ two vehicles:
usually cars don't know which other cars are currently around them
and especially they cannot know their VINs a priori.
So usually you would need some kind of discovery protocol using
well-known group addresses in order to figure out the unicast IPv6
addresses.

> All in all, depending on the problem, the VIN-based addresses may be
> necessary, provided that privacy concerns are addressed.

I don't see the need yet if external communication is concerned.

Regards,
 Roland