Le 19/02/2013 15:49, Scott Brim a écrit :
On 02/19/13 09:23, Alexandru Petrescu allegedly wrote:
Well I agree with you in a sense.  Connecting a vehicle to the
Internet in that way makes it easier than before to find its VIN.

However, may I add that the VIN of a vehicle is very easy to get.
It is displayed under the shield and by legislation it must be
visible, for cases like e.g. recover at accident scenes.  Despite
its little font, it's as visible as the license plate (I can send a
photo if you wish, or you could check a car's windshield bordering
the frame).  Nobody complains about the visibility of the license
plate.

How someone might walk along the street and see a VIN has nothing to
 do with Internet privacy.  If this mapping mechanism is adopted, one
 MUST reveal the specific vehicle communicating in order to
communicate at all.  That is not "taking privacy into account".

The picture is finer.  It may be that the address formed from VIN is
actually an ULA, which reaches some Servers in a domain, but not the
Internet at large. (maybe reach another vehicle in the same highway).

It may also be that the protocol Mobile IP/NEMO is used, or not.  When
it is used, it may be that the tunnel between MR and HA is protected by
ESP, hence the address inside the tunnel (the ULA derived from VIN) is
not visible.

The HA - Home Agent - in the infrastructure is controlled by the same
entity who gave birth to that vehicle, so it may rightfully need to know
its identity. (garage recall a vehicle because of particular fault).

Most people have no idea what can be derived from correlated data.

Yes, I am part of that most people.  I have no idea and I am personally
afraid of what may be correlated about what I send on Internet.

Any method of predictive mapping should take care of privacy.

Alex