On 04/27/2013 01:51 PM, SM wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
> At 12:13 26-04-2013, Fernando Gont wrote:
>> In some scenarios, that's impossible. Trivial example: If you have a
>> network with a single host attached to it, no matter whether you change
>> your address periodically (*), it will be possible to correlate the
>> hosts' activities.
>>
>> (*) That of changing your addresses *periodically* actually helps
>> correlation.
>
> What Alissa suggested is using "some" instead of "most".  It's a very
> small change to the draft.  The advantage of doing it is that you can
> tell a reader that the draft says "some" instead of "most" if there are
> ever any privacy issues.

There are essentially three privacy issues:

* main one: IIDs that are constant across networks (this is the one that
is very harmful)

* second one: correlation of node activities within the same network. In
many cases, no matter whether you change your addresses, it won't be solved.

* third one: leaking information about the IID, which could allow
attackers to guess the addresses of other alive nodes.

This document fixes #1 and #3. Regarding #2, it may or may not be
"addressed" with RFC 4941. That's why this document says "addresses most
privacy issues...".

That said, I don't care s/most/some/ -- consider that change done, for
instance. -- the meat of the document is elsewhere, and not in that
sentence.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont