> Michael Sweet <mailto:msw...@apple.com>
> 29 May 2013 20:13
> Michael,
>

> One important point here: we don't send IPv6 link local addresses in
> this case, we send the .local hostname that the printer is using. This
> avoids the whole issue of IPv6 link-local addresses in URIs, we just
> have to deal with changing printer hostnames (due to name collisions)
> and the normal issues of changing networks on the client - home Wi-Fi
> vs. work network, etc.

.local is also strongly scoped to a link. So how does a using a .local
name help compared to using an IPv6 link local literal in a URI?

In the case of receiving a .local URI, don't you then have to run name
resolution using mDNS on all possible interfaces to work out which
outgoing interface to use?

Point being that if a client can learn the outgoing interface because of
an incoming service advertisement from the printer, or failing that you
run multicast name discovery on all interfaces to discover which one has
the printer connected to it, why then in the case of an IPv6 literal
link local can't the client first look at the local Neighbor Discovery
cache for the literal IPv6 link local of the server to discover the
outgoing interface, or if that is absent attempt connecting to port 80
via all interfaces and cache which one works (attempting to use fixed
links before wireless before 3gpp)?

Thanks,
RayH