On 29/05/2013 11:57, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Brian,
>
> On 2013-05-28, at 4:38 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm increasingly baffled by the use case. If the host is
>> in a context where it can reach a server *and* has more than
>> one interface (such that a ZoneID is needed at all), it
>> shouldn't be using a link local address anyway - it
>> should have configured a global scope address (possibly
>> under a ULA prefix). Discussion of this use case surely
>> belongs in MIF or HOMENET.
>
> Most hosts (and probably all of the ones we care about) have multiple network
> interfaces, if only the loopback interface plus some sort of external network
> interface, forcing the use of the zoneid.  Also, the most common place you
> would need to use a link-local address for access is the place where global
> scope addresses are basically never used - the home.
>
> So I agree that the MIF or HOMENET working groups might have something to say
> here, but RFC 6874 was published by *this* group and IPv6 link local
> addresses have broader context than either of the other groups.

Yes, but the limitation of the meaning of the Zone ID to a single
host isn't new; RFC 6874 simply reiterates it. The problem is that
the whole notion of scope is defective as currently defined (hence
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-referral-ps, which we plan
to come back to when time permits). Today, the only clean fix is
to use a global-scope address, which means a ULA for disconnected
networks.

    Brian