On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:54 PM, Ted Lemon <ted.le...@nominum.com> wrote:

>  I still don't understand. What the above sentences seem to be saying is
> that "there are bits available for semantic prefix assignment because RIRs
> assume /48 but users don't actually get /48". Is that your point?
>

> No.  There are bits available because (1) RIRs may well allocate them even
> to ISPs that assign /48s to end-users

Actually, assigning more than a /48 user is substantially harder. Just to
take the APNIC policy, for example:

===

5.5 Assignment by LIRs

LIRs must make IPv6 assignments in accordance with the following provisions.

5.5.1 Assignment address space size

The exact size of the assignment is a local decision for the LIR or ISP to
make, using a minimum value of a /64 (when only one subnet is anticipated
for the end site) up to the normal maximum of /48, except in cases of extra
large end sites where a larger assignment can be justified."

5.5.2 Assignment of multiple /48s to a single end site

When a single end site requires an additional /48 address block, it must
request the assignment with documentation or materials that justify the
request. Requests for multiple or additional /48s will be processed and
reviewed (i.e., evaluation of justification) at the RIR/NIR level."

===

Thus, using semantic prefixes makes it much harder to assign /48s to users
- indeed, the letter of the policy above suggests that a /48 is acceptable
only in the case of "extra large end sites", and that *every single* user
that needs more than a /48 needs to be separately justified. That's
obviously not going to fly for a mass-market ISP.

So basically, unless you want to go through reams of paperwork, you can
either assign a /48 to each user, or you can use semantic prefixes, but not
both.