Fernando,

>>> Nah. Too complex for a title, and "random" is a bad word - you should always
>>> say pseudo-random or (more pedantic) uniformly distributed.
>>>
>>> IMHO the current title is clearest.
>>
>> these addresses have the following properties:
>> - stable per link
>> - randomly generated as opposed to based on a MAC address.
>>   (making scanning attacks harder, makes tracking across links harder)
>> - intended to replace existing EUI-64 identifiers
>>
>> truth in advertising; given that these addresses are meant to be used 'in
>> public', what is
>> "privacy enhanced" about them?
>
> One thing is some node using an address to communicate with you. Another
> thing is that other node being able to learn other information by means
> of such address.
>
> -- e.g, since the IID changes from one network to another, you cannot
> track the device.

this brings us to the larger issue of how an application should choose an
address type.
if I wanted "privacy" (assuming some suspension of disbelief (that choice of a
particular address results in better privacy)),
I would use a temporary address.

this draft is about stable addresses. a use case for a stable address/public
address, is to provide a service. that would typically mean it is published in
DNS or available via some form of service discovery.
that is, an address I explicitly don't want to be private.

>> the use of "privacy" confuses it with RFC4941 addresses, which these
>> addresses do not replace.
>
> Actually, RFC4941 are called "privacy extensions" (which isn't
> incorrect), since those temporary addresses have interesting privacy
> features. Probably, people assumed temporary == privacy because, before
> stable-privacy-addresses you didn't have any other privacy-enhanced
> addresses.
>
> Both RFC4941 and stable-privacy-addreses are "privacy addresess" --
> RFC4941 are temporary, while stable-privacy are stable.

as soon as an address is used externally it isn't private anymore.

>> "Stable per-network Addresses for IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
>> (SPN-SLAAC)"?
>
> An address could be "stable per network" without having any interesting
> privacy/security features. For instance, traditional slaac addresses are
> "stable per network", too.

true.
any other suggestions that does not contain the word "privacy"?
I don't want to explain to my dad (substitute with your favourite family
member), why he is still being
tracked across web-sites (AppNexus, Bluekai, Brightroll, Facebook Connect,
Google Analytics, Google Adsense, OpenX, Taboola...) when he explicitly chose
to use a privacy enhanced address for the communication.

> Me, I don't care much about the title. However, given that folks have
> become used to refer to this scheme as "stable-privacy addresses", and
> that so far alternative titles don't seem to do a much better job, I'd
> leave the title "as is".

"random Network Stable Addresses for IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
(NSA-SLAAC)"
:-)

cheers,
Ole