----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>
To: "Dave Thaler" <dtha...@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Fernando Gont" <fg...@si6networks.com>; <6...@ietf.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:41 AM

> On 10/08/2013 11:01, Dave Thaler wrote:
> > I will observe that Alissa's term "random per-network" isn't in any
of the possibilities
> > below and the reasons given wouldn't apply if that term were used.
Perhaps that
> > could be used in a title?
>
> Nah. Too complex for a title, and "random" is a bad word - you should
always
> say pseudo-random or (more pedantic) uniformly distributed.
>
> IMHO the current title is clearest.

I agree; it does the job.

I seem to have spent a lot of my working life disentangling identifiers
that have been overloaded with technical detail that adds nothing to
their use as identifiers and becomes plain misleading further down the
line.

The namespace here is that set by RFC4941
"Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6"
to which this is an addition/enhancement/alternative and that is what
the title should convey, ie the title should be similar, to show that
the two are closely related, but different, to highlight what has
changed.

Adding "stable" does the job.

Tom Petch

>    Brian
>

> > -Dave

Behalf Of
> >> Fernando Gont
> >> Sent: Friday, August 9, 2013 2:59 PM
> >> To: 6...@ietf.org
> >> Subject: draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses: Document title
> >>
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> I has been suggested to me that we might want to change the title
of this
> >> document, and the chairs have suggested that I comment on this one
on-list.

> >> The arguemtn, as far as I can tell, is that the current title might
be confusing
> >> (mostly because of the confusion there is with different
terminology on the
> >> subject).
> >>
> >> The current title is:
> >>
> >> * "A method for Generating Stable Privacy-Enhanced Addresses with
IPv6
> >> Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC)"
> >>
> >> It conveys this key information: that the addresses are stable, and
that they
> >> are privacy-friendly
> >>

> >> And the titles that have so far been suggested are:
> >>
> >> 1) ""Stable Addresses with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
(SLAAC)"

> >> Me, I think this one is confusing -- for instance, IEEE-derived
addresses are
> >> stable, too.
> >>

> >> 2) "Stable Addresses with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
> >> (SLAAC) not derived from EUI-64 identifiers"
> >>
> >> This one doesn't convey the information that these addresses are
privacy-
> >> friendly. Besides, why whould we assume that every link layer can
generate
> >> addresses based on EUI-64 ientifiers? (some link layers don't have
those)

> >> 3) "Underived from EUI-64 Stable Addresses..."
> >>
> >> Same as "3)".
> >>

> >> 4) "Amethod for generating stable random addresses"
> >>
> >> This one is also confusing, since the current scheme used by
Windows
> >> provide addresses that are random, and stable across networks.
> >>

> >> Given the above options I'd stick with the current title. Besides,
the
> >> community has become used to refer to this method as
"stable-privacy-