On 08/12/2013 07:31 AM, Ole Troan wrote:
>> One thing is some node using an address to communicate with you.
>> Another thing is that other node being able to learn other
>> information by means of such address.
>>
>> -- e.g, since the IID changes from one network to another, you
>> cannot track the device.
>
> this brings us to the larger issue of how an application should
> choose an address type. if I wanted "privacy" (assuming some
> suspension of disbelief (that choice of a particular address results
> in better privacy)), I would use a temporary address.

That depends on a variety of factors, including (but not limited to):

* Whether you need stability for your address
* Whether temporary addresses are acceptable in your environment  (many
enterprises disable temporary-addresses, but would benefit from
stable-privacy)

> this draft is about stable addresses. a use case for a stable
> address/public address, is to provide a service. that would typically
> mean it is published in DNS or available via some form of service
> discovery. that is, an address I explicitly don't want to be
> private.

Please see above. Besides, receiving incoming connections does not man
many of the threats described in
<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-cooper-6man-ipv6-address-generation-privacy-00.txt>
are acceptable.

>>> the use of "privacy" confuses it with RFC4941 addresses, which
>>> these addresses do not replace.
>>
>> Actually, RFC4941 are called "privacy extensions" (which isn't
>> incorrect), since those temporary addresses have interesting
>> privacy features. Probably, people assumed temporary == privacy
>> because, before stable-privacy-addresses you didn't have any other
>> privacy-enhanced addresses.
>>
>> Both RFC4941 and stable-privacy-addreses are "privacy addresess"
>> -- RFC4941 are temporary, while stable-privacy are stable.
>
> as soon as an address is used externally it isn't private anymore.

"privacy" doesn't mean that your address is "unknown". It means that it
doesn't leak more info than necessary.

>>> "Stable per-network Addresses for IPv6 Stateless Address
>>> Autoconfiguration (SPN-SLAAC)"?
>>
>> An address could be "stable per network" without having any
>> interesting privacy/security features. For instance, traditional
>> slaac addresses are "stable per network", too.
>
> true. any other suggestions that does not contain the word
> "privacy"? I don't want to explain to my dad (substitute with your
> favourite family member), why he is still being tracked across
> web-sites (AppNexus, Bluekai, Brightroll, Facebook Connect, Google
> Analytics, Google Adsense, OpenX, Taboola...) when he explicitly
> chose to use a privacy enhanced address for the communication.

Because he didn't use a privacy-enhanced app? He'd be tracked based on
the app rather than based on the underlying address. Besides, tracking
is just one aspect (see the others in Alissa's document).

>> Me, I don't care much about the title. However, given that folks
>> have become used to refer to this scheme as "stable-privacy
>> addresses", and that so far alternative titles don't seem to do a
>> much better job, I'd leave the title "as is".
>
> "random Network Stable Addresses for IPv6 Stateless Address
> Autoconfiguration (NSA-SLAAC)" :-)

That's a non-starter name, based on recent "events". ;-))

--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks