Because of the "fetch" issue I upgraded from 1.4.4 to master, which was
been running well when I got a non-zero exit code because of
socket error with a statement about a possible protocol violation. I
downgraded to 1.4.4 and the error went away. After awhile of dealing
with the "fetch" issue needing me to repeat an mbsync invocation I
upgraded again, and after several days of smooth sailing got another
error like that.

I accidentally made the error go away by going to my university outlook
mailbox through the web interface and clearing out the inbox,
so I can't reproduce the error now, but my questions are for the future:

What does this sound like?

What do you advise for diagnosing which
message is the offender (the debug output is copious and the UIDs cited
there don't often seem to numerically relate to the UIDs in my saved
messages),

and is there anything you would like me to do to help you
figure out what migh be causing this?

Thanks for your excellent program and support. Cheers, Britt