The error has reoccured. It is:

Socket error: receive buffer full. Probably protocol error.

running =mbsync -D university=

Gives an output that includes this snippet:

#+Begin_quote

N: Called get_uidnext, ret=1273
-> log: F 1 1273 (save UIDNEXT of near side)
-> log: # 192877 0 yMXnDcoTZKtm (new TUID)
N: Called get_memory_usage, ret=0
F: [ 9] Enter fetch_msg, uid=192877, want_flags=no, want_date=no
F: >>> 6 UID FETCH 192877 (BODY.PEEK[])
F: [ 9] Leave fetch_msg
F: [ 7] Callback leave load_box
F: * 3 FETCH (UID 192877 BODY[] {587687}
F: === (98304 bytes omitted)
F: === (65536 bytes omitted)
F: === (100000 bytes omitted)
F: === (100000 bytes omitted)
Socket error: receive buffer full. Probably protocol error.

#+End_quote

I cannot find anything to match the offending email on my (near) side.
When I log on to microsoft365 and deleted the most recent email from my
inbox the error went away.

Happy to provide more details if you can point me in the best direction.

Thank you, Britt