On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 10:47:12AM -0400, Britt Anderson via isync-devel wrote:
Because of the "fetch" issue I upgraded from 1.4.4 to master,

which "fetch" issue in particular are you referring to?

which was been running well when I got a non-zero exit code because of
socket error with a statement about a possible protocol violation. I
downgraded to 1.4.4 and the error went away. After awhile of dealing
with the "fetch" issue needing me to repeat an mbsync invocation I
upgraded again, and after several days of smooth sailing got another
error like that.

just a side note: downgrading without re-syncing from scratch is not supported. it may work in any given case, but i'm not promising anything.

I accidentally made the error go away by going to my university outlook
mailbox through the web interface and clearing out the inbox,
so I can't reproduce the error now, but my questions are for the future:

What does this sound like?

need more info ...

What do you advise for diagnosing which message is the offender

run with -D ...

(the debug output is copious and the UIDs cited there don't often seem to numerically relate to the UIDs in my saved messages),

the two sides have different uids. the ones appearing in the imap stream don't match the local mailboxes. the complete output contains the local (or more precisely, near-side) uids as well, and their pairings with remote (far-side) ones.

regards