Result of bisect:

859b7dd7f2dc5d8396488700e0ab35d207188ed9 is the first bad commit
commit 859b7dd7f2dc5d8396488700e0ab35d207188ed9
Author: Oswald Buddenhagen <o...@users.sf.net>
Date:   Thu Jun 9 13:32:16 2022 +0200

    try to avoid extra syscalls when reading sockets

    so far we shifted down the buffered data only when we ran out of space.
    however, that may cause chopping up the actual socket read, which is a
    bad trade-off with avoiding a moderate-sized memmove. so try to keep
    enough space for the anticipated read size.

    note that this ignores the zlib path, as that always does full-size
    socket reads into z_buf, and saving inflate() calls seems pointless.

 src/socket.c | 16 ++++++++++++----
 src/socket.h |  5 +++++

Best,
Bence