On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Waldhoff, Rodney wrote:

> Here's one of the proposals I was talking about in my earlier email. I
> thought we could kick it around a little bit before submitting a real
> proposal.
>
> The Java Object Construction Language (JOCL) provides an XML syntax for
> describing one or more objects to be instantiated.  It's most useful when
> trying to persistently configure objects that rely on a lot of aggregation.
> This is the proposal I'm least sure of. I find JOCL pretty useful (we use it
> for a number of modules, some of which I'd like to contribute to commons),
> and I needed it or something like it for the DBCP stuff, so I dropped it in
> as a separate package.  I think that this functionality could pretty easily
> be built into another XML-based configuration language (like Digester for
> example) but it serves my immediate needs.

I was planning to propose Digester (once I got the Commons version of
BeanUtils far enough along, because Digester depends on it).  Would it be
worthwhile talking about collaborating on this, or do you think there is
reason to have both?  It appears to me we could define a set of standard
Digester rules that correspond to the JOCL operations, but I'm definitely
not as familiar with JOCL as you are.

> For the time being, the package can be found in the bundle at
> http://www.webappcabaret.com/rwald/commons/.  I'll move it into the sandbox
> when I get access.
>
> Comments?
>
> - R.