On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Waldhoff, Rodney wrote:

> > Would it be worthwhile talking about collaborating on this, or do you
> think
> > there is reason to have both [JOCL and Digester]?  It appears to me we
> could
> > define a set of standard Digester rules that correspond to the JOCL
> operations,
>
> JOCL is just yet another XML configuration utility.  I'd be more than happy
> to collaborate with you to integrate the JOCL functionality into Digester.
> In fact, I was a little hesitant to submit JOCL at all thinking that its
> functionality is superceded by or easily integrated with another XML
> configuration utility like Digester.
>
> > but I'm definitely not as familiar with JOCL as you are.
>
> And vice versa for Digester.  This may help:
>
> The primary purpose of JOCL is to provide human-editable representation of a
> Java object (or a list of Java objects) to be instantiated.  For example,
> the JOCL fragment:
>
> <object class="java.util.Date">
>  <int value="1"/>
>  <int value="2"/>
>  <int value="3"/>
> </object>
>
> will invoke "new java.util.Date(1,2,3)" and add the result to a simple list.
>
> I find this useful because I commonly create small frameworks (like the
> DBCP) that are really aggregations of different objects.  Writing a custom
> configuration file format for that would be a hassle, especially since
> clients can create there own classes that integrate with the framework.
> Since JOCL just uses reflection and a generic XML representation of
> constructors, new classes are automatically supported by the JOCL syntax.
>
> Hence the main feature of JOCL, as I see it, is that any class can be
> represented/configured without adding any new code.  The same may be true of
> Digester, that's not entirely clear to me.  Certainly there is some overlap
> with the Merlin/JDK1.4 XML serialization (assuming I can create the XML ser
> files by hand), and maybe even with SOAP.
>
> I have been thinking about some extensions to JOCL that would (a) allow the
> invocation of methods as well as constructors and (b) support a map of
> object references, rather than a list, but certainly the Digester/BeanUtil
> syntax seems convenient.
>
> How about this: I'll move the JOCL classes in the DBCP bundle for now, drop
> the JOCL proposal, and poke around with Digester as the XML configuration
> language for DBCP.  I haven't looked at Digester too hard, but I'm sure we
> can make it do what I want if it doesn't already.  If you want, feel free to
> put me down as an initial committer in the Digester proposal when you submit
> it.

I may be misreading this one, but why move into the DBCP bundle?  This
seems like it would be a good example of what the sandbox is available
for, two similar implementations for a similar need. Any comments?

I am still going back through the proposal emails, hopefully I can
sit down and read them through shortly. This would get a definite +1,
especially with the inclusion of the Digester stuff.

David