Title: RFC: JOCL Package

Here's one of the proposals I was talking about in my earlier email. I thought we could kick it around a little bit before submitting a real proposal.

The Java Object Construction Language (JOCL) provides an XML syntax for describing one or more objects to be instantiated.  It's most useful when trying to persistently configure objects that rely on a lot of aggregation.  This is the proposal I'm least sure of. I find JOCL pretty useful (we use it for a number of modules, some of which I'd like to contribute to commons), and I needed it or something like it for the DBCP stuff, so I dropped it in as a separate package.  I think that this functionality could pretty easily be built into another XML-based configuration language (like Digester for example) but it serves my immediate needs.

For the time being, the package can be found in the bundle at http://www.webappcabaret.com/rwald/commons/.  I'll move it into the sandbox when I get access.

Comments?

- R.

Proposal for JOCL Package
[Revision: $Id:$]

(0) Rationale

Provides an XML-based grammar for constructing/configuring
Java objects.

(1) Scope of the Package

Provides an XML-based grammar for constructing/configuring
Java objects.

(2) The Initial Source of the Package

The initial codebase was contributed by Rodney Waldhoff from a
working project and can be distributed under the Apache license.

(2.1) The Base Name of the Package

org.apache.commons.jocl

(3) Jakarta Commons Resources to be Created

(3.1) Mailing List

Until traffic justifies, the package will use the Jakarta-Commons
list.

(3.2) CVS Repositories

For the time being, the package will use a root branch of the
Jakarta-Commons CVS repository.

(3.3) Bugzilla

The package should be listed as a component under the Jakarta-Commons
Bugzilla entry.

(3.4) Jyve FAQ (when available)

commons-jocl

(4) Identify the Initial Set of Committers

Rodney Waldhoff