--- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Last night, I framed out an attempt at the Jakarta
> Commons site.   It's
> live :
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html
>
> I also changed the Jakarta site to include Commons
> in the subproject
> list, so it is now accessible from the regular
> Jakarta site.

Good work!

> I will assume that no one will find what is up there
> too offensive,
> aside from the logo.

Um, yeah, I've seen better logos.  :)

> Some notes, in no apparent order :
>
> 1a) I am not married to any of this.  I just wanted
> to get something
> up.  Morgan is working on more content, so I just
> wanted to get
> something fleshed out and setup for him (and others)
> to continue with.

Yeah I made some progress last night, so I'll post it
today.

In working on the content, I found it very confusing
that "Commons" is both a subproject and a portion of
the subproject.  I propose that we call the Commons
portion of the site the "Commons Proper" (or anything
other than simply Commons).

> 1b) The content is just whatever came to mind after
> a long day at work,
> after a long night doing velocity's release.  In the
> light of day, it
> may not make much sense.  Feel free to chop it up.
>
> 2) Given the historical timescales of some of our
> discussions, I figured
> I would just use Anakia based on the Jakarta Site
> stylesheet for this,
> until the whole discussion of docbook vs. stylebook
> vs. generic XSLT vs.
> Anakia vs. Oasis vs. Jakarta vs. W3C vs. the role of
> standards in a
> dynamic and changing industry gets resolved.  Feel
> free to switch if
> that happens :)

Fair enough.  I'd be much less concerned about the
actual display engine if I could see the DTD for
Jakarta documentation.  :)

> 3) I now have a top level page for the components
> (well, only one right
> now, BeanUtils), but this can be pushed down into
> each component.
> Again, I just wanted to frame something out.

Good deal.

> 4) The logo is horrible.  Someone please come up
> with something better,
> or I will be forced to Gimp again!
>
> 5) There is a build.xml file for Ant that does all
> the work.  Ant will
> go out and fetch the style.vsl sheet from
> jakarta-site2's CVS, so you
> will always build with the current stylesheet.  You
> still have to go on
> the easter egg hunt for Ant, Velocity, and Xerces (I
> think).  I will
> argue you don't have to install any of those - just
> include the jars in
> the classpath.
>
> 6) I included simple instructions on how to build
> the site html source
> from the xml (and will add a note on how to make
> that content live on
> the jakarta site....)  It also includes a stealth
> build.sh :)
>
> Hope y'all like it.
>
> geir
>
> --