--- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > confusing
> portion
> > > of
> > >
> > > Commons in the Jakarta subproject that has
> > > 'Components'. Two parts of
> > > Commons are the Sandbox and the Directory...
> >
> > Clear to me, but it may not be clear to the
> > uninitiated.
>
> Ok. That's important.  The point of the site *is*
> for the uninitiated,
> for the most part.

> > > anything
> > >
> > > What do you mean, 'the Commons portion of the
> site'
> > > ?
> >
> > Exactly!  :)  When I looked at the site this
> morning,
> > there were lots of statements like (I'm
> paraphrasing),
> > "the Commons project is dedicated toward creating
> and
> > maintaining reusable components."  Unfortunately,
> > that's only part of what Commons does, and I think
> it
> > gives short shrift to the Sandbox and the
> Directory,
> > which have different objectives.
>
> Ok.
>

> > I just updated the site with my proposed changes.
> > Check it out and see if you agree.  Now most of
> the
> > places that talk about our component repository
> call
> > it "Commons Proper" instead of just Commons.  I
> think
> > it's an improvement.
>
> I like the the changes, although how about :
>
> 1) Put 'Getting Started' (or change to 'Home') under
> About us, you can
> get back to the Commons home page from anywhere.

Yeah, I moved that link to "Overview" under Commons
Info.  Maybe we could change the wording to "Commons
Home"?

> 2) I don't like the phrase 'Commons Proper'.  How
> about just
> 'Components'.

I much prefer giving something a proper name rather
than using a description.  At a major encyclopaedia
company that I work for :), we have lots of
meaningless descriptions like "short article" that
drive me crazy.  It just doesn't sound right: the
Sandbox, the Directory, and the Components (blech).

> And only use 'Commons' when talking
> about the subproject
> as a whole.

I agree, but I don't like the name "Components".

> > (BTW, I'm not a big fan of the site DTD yet.  Too
> > limiting.)
>
> So darn limiting you got content up and public
> already.  Sorry about
> that :)
>
> We can expand the DTD :)
>
> geir