on 8/15/01 11:47 AM, "Vincent Massol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree. I am just not sure that including one jar inside another is
> something good and possible (is it done anywhere else ?).

Velocity includes the LogKit.jar and ORO.jar files within the velocity.jar
file. Hasn't been an issue (other than logkit breaking backwards
compatibility).

jar:
    [unzip] Expanding:
/Users/jon/checkout/jakarta-velocity/build/lib/log.jar in
to /Users/jon/checkout/jakarta-velocity/bin/classes
    [unzip] Expanding:
/Users/jon/checkout/jakarta-velocity/build/lib/oro.jar in
to /Users/jon/checkout/jakarta-velocity/bin/classes
   [delete] Deleting directory
/Users/jon/checkout/jakarta-velocity/bin/classes/
META-INF
      [jar] Building jar:
/Users/jon/checkout/jakarta-velocity/bin/velocity-1.2-
dev.jar

We would have used Log4JME, but at the time it wasn't as small as it is now.

> License won't be
> an issue here obviously. The problem I can see is that with versions. If I
> have the Log4jME classes in my component jar and then the user likes Log4j
> and puts the jar on the classapth *before* my jar and it happens that the
> version he uses it older than mine and does not support such method I am
> using, then we have a problem, right ? :(

Nope. Your code will still only call known methods, not new methods and
deprecation rules apply for backwards compatibility. Thanks to Gump and Sam
and I bugging him, Ceki is well aware of keeping things fully backwards
compatible.

-jon