Getting back to the stable/experimental branches...

I think, with separate stable & experimental branches, development
would/should be active on both branches.  It'd depend on the
feature...

Eg today we'd have 3.x stable branch and the experimental branch
(= trunk).

Small features, bug fixes, would be ported to both branches.  I think
features that deprecate some APIs would still be fine on the stable
branch.  Major changes (eg flex) would only be done on the
experimental branch.

This empowers us on a feature by feature case to decide whether it'll
be in the stable release or not.  The stable branch releases would
be 3.0, 3.1, etc., but we could still do the .Z releases (3.0.1,
3.0.2) for bug fixes, if we need to.

And we could do alpha releases off the experimental branch as we think
we're getting close to cutting a new stable release (4.0).

Mike