I agree that's a risk... but this being open source, I think it'd balance out?

So eg right now I'm looking @ speeding up PhraseQuery (thanks to
Robert's prodding ;) ).  These changes are all under the hood, so, I
would do this on the stable branch.  There's no reason not to.

There are also good incentives to do something on stable branch, eg,
the feature will see the light of day sooner than it will on
experimental.  For people working on features that their "sponsors"
really need, doing so on the stable branch means they are available in
a real release sooner.

And by having a "safe" place for experimental stuff to land, we save
the risk of destabilizing the stable branch, that we face today.  And
we would no longer need to go to herculean efforts (like Uwe's back
compat layer for analysis).  Flex would've finished much sooner too :)

Mike