> Riyad Kalla wrote:
> >
> > In regards to current Blackdown port of Java. Its not a
> > secret that its a hard task, that I understand, but it has
> > also been many many long months that this process has
> <snip>
>
> Interesting questions that you raise.  I for one have been
> very happy with the work of the Blackdown team, the beta 1.2
> has been rock solid for us.  However, I too have asked myself
> the same questions recently.

        We've been happy with the work also, but to say
        that it is rock solid is stretching the truth just
        a tad. We really need rock solid native thread
        support and the current pre-release does not work
        that well with native threads and or the JIT compiler.
        Often I find that I have to disable these features
        in order to test our code. Seems that the work
        on the port has slowed significantly, what this is
        a sign of I am not sure, but it would be really nice
        if the Blackdown folks would open up a little and
        let us know why progress has slowed so much.

        Would we switch to an alternate source given the
        opportunity? Maybe, depends on the implementation
        and the implementors relationship with the Linux
        community.

        --Corey

> If only we could find a benefactor who would be willing to
> bankroll the salaries of one or two of the Blackdown team
> members to work on the project full-time.  Or maybe get
> enough people/businesses/institutes to donate some money
> to fund this exercise.  How much money would it take and how
> many donations would be necessary?
>
> Chris Kakris
>
> "Ask not what Linux can do for you, but what you can do for Linux."
>
> Dynamic Solutions Pty Ltd      http://www.dynamic.net.au/christos
> 414 Gilbert Road               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Preston, Victoria 3072         61 3 94718224 - voice
> Australia                      61 3 94711622 - fax

/* Corey Brown  (WB0RXQ): 20m, 15m, 2m(146.82) 70cm(443.65)       */
/* AT&T NCS                  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]         */
/* Alpharetta, Ga 30005      |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                   */
/* (770)750-8071             |  New rays from an ancient sun (JS) */