>IMHO, the ideal situation would be for Sun to support Linux as one of
>its primary platforms. I don't understand why Sun does not.

I don't understand why Sun doesn't support Linux either, either as a
platform for Java or better still, an OS for their hardware. SGI has
recently woken up and realized there's no value in maintaining a
proprietary Unix anymore. They've just about dumped Irix entirely, are
becoming a Linux company. Maybe this transition is still too painful
for Sun.

>Some times I wonder if the Linux community cares about Java
>availability. (Real men use Perl)

I think many Linux principles, especially the kernel and glibc types,
don't care about Java at all. Java is in some ways antithetical to
Linux - it's slow, bulky, and has nothing to do with hacking hardware.
And it's not Free in almost every sense. There's no surprise there's a
bit of friction.

>Linux is the perfect platform for hosting application servers

Linux is also a perfect plaftform for high-end embedded systems. We're
still waiting to hear what Sun's plans for that are. They've finally
addressed the low-end somewhat with KVM, but they have no OS to run on
higher end things. If you believe their hype about Jini, Linux very
neatly fills a niche.

Maybe things will change now that Baratz has left.

                                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
.       .      .     .    .   .  . . http://www.media.mit.edu/~nelson/