    Mike> I too am very concerned with this issue and don't know what
    Mike> to say. My hat goes off for Blackdown. But even if the
    Mike> Blackdown effort produced a working, native thread VM

The problems with the native threads vm are closely related to
problems inside the LinuxThreads library.  E.g. the GC in 1.2pre2
doesn't run because pthread_cond_timedwait may miss notification from
pthread_{signal,broadcast} when it gets interrupted.

    Mike> tomorrow, would it support a JIT, much less HotSpot?

1.2 already has a JIT compiler and Linux definitively will support
HotSpot.

    Mike> Performance is really bad and pure Java tools like NetBeans
    Mike> and TogetherJ don't run well, if at all.

I really would like to work on optimizing the JDK, but we can't do
that until the JDK is stable and the porting of other APIs is
finished.

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Porting Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux.html