This is a good point, however I think they create lrun to not LOOSE market to Linux,
not
to support it. Realistically, why would such a huge corporation support Linux without
gain?

Personall I see it to their disadvantage to support Java fully on linux. Like another
gentlement on this newgroup brought up, it would provide a low-cost powerful server
solution to companies not able to purchase a Sun server or adminstrate them.  However I
think they may end up supporting Linux, I just haven't seen a convincing argument that
they can BENIFIT from helping out Linux. The only result I see is more people saying
"Welp, I don't need a Solaris box now, I can just install it on my RedHat/Apache
machine
and be good to go!"

Its very likely I could be wrong, so any comments are welcome. No flames though, I'm
alergic to fire. :)

I don't see it being in Sun's interest at all to support Linux. They are shooting,
obviously, for the biggest market. I always found it interesting that they had a full
complete JDK for Win32 LONG before they had a final version available for Solaris. I
find
this curious and am sure there are other reasons for it, I would appreciate it anyone
could enlighten me.

Best wishes,

-Riyad

Joel McCarty wrote:

> I understand your point of view - but at the same time Sun has provided support to
>port
> linux to their ultra series machines and with their release of lrun (a tool to allow
> linux programs binary compatibility under Solaris 7)  it seems they wan't to support
> Linux.  You also have to look at the fact that Sun is seriously stretching their
> organizational capacity at the moment with all the projects they have and possibly
> Linux java support is simply on the back burner
>
> Joel McCarty
>
> Riyad Kalla wrote:
>
> > These are good points.. and I think the reason Sun doesn't support Linux so readily
> > is simply because it would be shooting its self right in the Solaris-Foot. If it
> > provides a high performance, solaris quality Java implementation... they may loose
> > a bit of business. I don't know details of course about this, but that seemed the
> > most readily availble answer.
> >
> > Anyone else have input on this?
> >
> > -Riyad

[      Riyad Kalla      ]