I would disagree with Casper with regards to only teachers and lawyers
getting good vacation days

I am Canadian and think that mine are good, but I always could use
more :)

For Ontario (my province) with get 10 "public" holidays on top of the
vacation days that you receive from your employer.

My employer current gives 15 paid vacations days, plus an additional 3
days off during Christmas.  You receive an additional week after 5
years and another after 10.
Vacation days are also considered a benefit and are usually negotiated
with your employer when applying for a position and once you start
your job can use them right away.

Sick days are paid but there is no set amount as they are for being
sick and not a vacation day, so if you don't use them they do not
carry over or anything like that.

A note on maternity leave (or parental leave) in Canada you get 1 year
off, this can be split between both parents :)

Just one of the reasons why Canada is the best place to live :)