When you file a patent the patent office only does the most basic of
checks, this is primarily a patent search looking for key words
selected from your patent in other patents. They then ask you to
justify why your patent is different than the other patents that they
found. There role is not to do an extensive background check or to
check if the patent is plausible; people regularly file patents for
perpetual motion machines for example. The reason that the office only
does minimal checks is to keep the costs down. This seems at least
half reasonable since the vast majority of patents are never
disputed.

The real action happens in the court and there how original the patent
is is assessed and in particular the test of "was the innovation
claimed obvious to someone skilled in the art" is applied. This test
does indeed throw out many patents or parts thereof.

However you are unlikely to win a patent case if you are a large
company working in the area by claiming the innovation is obvious if a
new product hits the market and is very successful, since the obvious
repost is that if it was so obvious why didn't you do and make all the
money. Particularly if your product incorporating the innovation
follows a number of years later. the court might well rule that the
innovation is only obvious in hindsight. Also note that a patent can
be a combination of existing ideas applied to a new application; hard
to argue that this innovative since if it was obvious people would
have joined the ideas already. It is also possible that the court
decides that there was simultaneous invention even if one party has
patents and the other doesn't provided that the 2nd party can document
that they were working in the same area.

With regard to Google and patents I don't see them offering to make
page rank available free of charge. If their position really was that
you should have patents then surely they would make this patent and
all their others available (actually page rank is held by Stanford, I
think, but you get the idea). Similarly if they thought intellectual
property, IP, should be free they wouldn't have employee
confidentiality agreements and would make all their code open source
under a public licence. You really can't have it both ways and I am
sure Apple lawyers won't be shy about pointing this out!