On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:41:25 +0100, Kevin Wright <kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com> wrote:

The problem with that kind of money-first approach is that it's falling
into the trap of disregarding developers, and seeing them as a mere
interchangeable "resource" for converting time into $$$, and technology
choice determining the exchange rate.

This is exactly what we've been accusing others of doing, so we really want
to avoid becoming our own worst enemies here!

Well, I don't recall to have accused anyone, and in any case the primary purpose of a corporate should be precisely "managing resources to convert time in $$$ and maximizing the exchange rate". Money-first is a must because without money we can't act, just talk.

Perhaps a more influential argument would be:

"This is frustrating our developers, and is damaging our ability to both
acquire and retain talent. Good programmers don't want to see their skills
stagnating, and there's still a strong market for good engineers even in
this recession.  I'm concerned that some of our most capable people will
vote with their feet and it's going to hurt our bottom line.  There's a
very real risk that we'll lose people who we can't then replace, and here's
how I think that risk can be mitigated..."

Good and I don't see in contrast with my previous quote-delimited statement. Just, again: please prove it in business language. Are talented developers really flying away? Yes. So, let's stress the point to the management, it shouldn't be hard to point out a fact. Aren't they flying away? Hmm... Perhaps, we can change things: are you a frustrated talented developer? Please fly away from that company. You can't? Well, back to the drawing board.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."