Unless the CTO is driving technology change, it won't happen. He sets the
tone for what will happen at the company and his managers are going to
approve things with his blessing and kill things that go against it. If you
can find a way to work with the people at the top, things will go more
smoothly. I know companies that are still standardizing on IE6 for new
development right now. They don't want to change anything as it costs money
to do so. Businesses are there to provide returns to the stock holders. A
technology company knows that it has to be current so your best chances are
there to make a difference.

Robert Casto
www.robertcasto.com
www.sellerstoolbox.com