On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:22:19 +0100, Ricky Clarkson <ricky.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually the BBC fairly frequently criticises its own reporting, and it
even goes a step more meta, criticism of its own criticism of its own
reporting. The Balen case is of an internal report into its own reporting that it decided not to make public. I don't recall the case and am getting
all context from Wikipedia, but that doesn't sound so bad.

If you know a report is going to be made public will you be as honest in
its content?

Don't get me wrong: BBC was one of my youthness myths, really. So I'm more than sad to say it's no more fair as it was supposed to be. If I'm not wrong, BBC should be impartial by statute, and the BBC Trust is supposed to apply some vigilance on it. So, the fact that BBC criticises itself should be the normality - unfortunately it's not happening as frequently as it should, as the latest stories say, including a fresh, new incident:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/13/climate28_named_wtf/

In this case, it sounds as they opposed a bunch of lawyers against a blogger to prevent him from having access to the list of participants of a meeting. With success (well, when you can pay big lawyers against a single citizen...). Too bad another blogger found the document they wanted to keep secret, which seems to be of some embarrassment. Fresh case, I have still to fully understand the implications. But it's not the behaviour you'd expect from a public service, right?

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."