I promise this will be my last post for awhile (and they all cheered).

Brenda wrote:

> The world economy today is very different from what it was even 50 years
ago
> because of advances in technology, equity markets and transportation.  It
seems
> simplistic to compare it to civilizations dating back thousands of years
when it comes
> to political economies.

I know it's different but people are people are people and they've always
traded with each other even if it was in less sophisticated ways.

> I fear you've missed my point.  Never did I say or imply that we are
obligated to bend
> over to anyone.  And I don't think that anyone should be stifled.
Including those who
> may be viewed as ungrateful.  Or their critics.

I read too much of the foreign press and should really tune it out for
awhile.  I felt such a rash of unwarranted criticism and contemptuous
commentary coming from some of it immediately after 9/11 that it really
changed the way I view some things.  I also heard contemptuous and
unempathetic in person from some people from other countries at that time
and I guess I have just had my fill for awhile.  The problem I see is that
many of them DO take their information straight from tabloids or from press
with an agenda.  I was stunned, for example, to read outraged reactions from
people in their governments automatically believing exactly what they read
in the tabloids and taking it as gospel.  I can't imagine this - it would be
as if members of the U.S. congress picked up a story in one of our tabloids
about something from another country and immediately started howling and
pounding on their tables before they even consulted with official
representatives of that country. Maybe it's all just high political drama
that is too nuanced for me to understand.

> BTW - I do think that fairly or unfairly, U.S. policy has become
synonymous with
> globalism for many critics, including those within our own country who
would be
> labeled "anti-American."  I suppose that comes with the territory when you
are deemed
> leader of the free world.  (I hope that doesn't read as being facetious,
because that is
> certainly not my intent.)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  I do understand how people can
have a natural resentment toward a country that you have to keep hearing all
the time is the "leader."  I think that sets the U.S. up for a lot of hits,
not always fairly.  I don't understand those who think the U.S. is the only
country being "imperialistic" or trying to exploit and take over the world.
One can go to most any foreign country, including the third world countries,
and see just as many corporations from many other countries long established
there.  I feel like some other countries project or try to shine all of the
spotlight on the U.S. to divert others from shining the light on them.  I
feel we are often the convenient scapegoat and we;ve sort of endured that
for a long time because we feel conscious of our wealth.  After 9/11, I
think people feel more sensitive to unfair or one-sided criticism.  It seems
like some in Europe have so much contempt for us that they could care less
if we are gutted, severely wounded or even destroyed.  Which gets back to
some of my angry reaction or not understanding why they don't perhaps
considered that if we go down it will certainly effect them, too.

Kakki