Brenda wrote:

> I think the trouble with this argument is that the average citizen in one
of these
> countries has about as much to do with their big multi-nationals as the
average U.S.
> citizen has to do with General Motors or AT&T.  They buy their products
and if they're
> fortunate, they own some small bit of stock or a mutual fund that owns
some stock.  It
> wouldn't at all surprise me if, in some cases, actual ownership by U.S.
citizens (via
> pension funds, 401k investments, etc.) was as significant as ownership by
citizens of
> the company's home country.

On the other hand many average citizens in those countries benefit from
either being employed at those large companies, whose continued economic
health is greatly bolstered by having a large and stable American market to
sell their products to, or from the taxes paid by those companies, which
serves to fund their countries social programs.

Kakki