Hi Bob,

Seems a few on list are listening to this album today.

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I hadn't heard NRH in awhile, and spun it from start to finish yesterday.
> Really an excellent record. Come In From The Cold should have been edited,
> I'm always ready for it to be over before it is. I don't care for Nothing Can
> Be Done much, but that's just me I suppose.

After reading your post this morning, I did the same thing Bob.  I put on the album
and pulled out
the sleeve for the words. I totally agree about "Come in From the Cold."  It seems so
obvious, I
wonder how or why she felt the need to go on and on.  Nothing Can Be Done, is just
okay with me.

Bob wrote;
Two Grey Rooms is of course one
> of her masterpieces because like her best work, we can easily insert ourselves into
>the story.

Yes, even if we change that story, we find a way to fit ourselves in and embellish
from there.
For some reason this song also reminds me of a short story, which as per usual I can't
remember
the exact title, "To Room 19?"  I can't remember the author either, but I bet someone
here will
know. Dare I say Katherine Porter?  As I listen to it it just popped into my head,
couldn't help
it.

> And has she ever written a "meaner" lyric than:
>
> "You'd eat your young alive,
> For A Jaguar in the drive"
> (From "The Windfall(Everything For Nothing))
>
> I don't mean that as a negative statement - it's a brilliant lyric because of
> its impact.

It is a great line Bob, I totally understand.  It's lines like this that can somehow
make the
whole song stronger as well.

Bob Wrote:
> Cherokee Louise almost always moves me to tears with its story of childhood
> betrayal, and the fact that the friend knows where to find her (under the
> bridge) but now she's there because she's hiding in fear & shame as opposed
> to the fun mischievious adventure of youth. So bittersweet...

Yes - I really get the visuals here and that tugs at my heart strings even more so.

I really love "The Only Joy In Town."
I think it's got shades of old Joni melodically speaking and it's a well produced
song, mostly
cause it's not over produced, seems to me.

I'm sure this Joni treasure will be featured prominently on my stereo the next week or
two.

Peace,
Susan
http://health.yahoo.com