In a message dated 11/23/2002 7:29:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I'm sorry to hear those voices registering their disappointment that Joni's
> new work doesn't fit their preconceptions of what it "should" be.

But dontcha think that Britney, Christina A, etc. also create and release
cd's that are THEIR vision? And people here seem to have no problem ripping
them to shreds because THEY don't like them - (and in most cases probably
haven't even heard them. )

I guess I just don't understand the difference in allowing someone to express
their discontent or disappointment with Joni's work, even as they acknowledge
that it's Joni's vision. It reeks of those high school days when kids all
pretend to like the same bands/clothes/TV shows etc. so they can fit in, and
anyone who dares to be different is criticized.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not comparing Joni to a couple of disposable pop
sensations. I'm just addressing the concept that Joni's "realized vision" may
not suit some people, even some of her most faithful lifelong admirers, and
that should be OK as opposed to a patronizing "awww".

Travelogue may not be my particular cup of tea, but it really has more to do
with me & my tastes, and not with Joni Mitchell & the execution of this
project.

Or maybe They Might Be Giants are right when they sing "People should get
beat up for stating their beliefs"...

Bob

NP: Joni, "Circle Game" from T'log