> But a question...if I make a suggestion that perhaps what Joni "should
have
> done" on a track is..., is that not constructive criticism?
>
> I guess what I'm asking is - How would you define "constructive criticism"
in
> this case? I guess I'm only asking so that I can do a better job of it.

Well now you're making me feel very sheepish about posting my *opinion* on
the subject in the first place.  I'm certainly no expert on how to write
constructive criticism or anything else.  And I have no wish to edit or
censor what anybody chooses to write in this forum.  I was just sounding off
about a pet peeve of mine, expressing an opinion as we all love to do.

And that is what you are doing when you make the statement that *you would
like* to have heard more from Billy Preston and Herbie Hancock on
Travelogue.  To me there is big difference between 'I would have liked to
hear more' and 'Joni *should* have used more of'.  It's the difference
between personal preference and giving the artist instruction on what they
'should' do.

I suppose all criticism boils down to personal preference and opinion but it
seems to me that the reviewer should present those opinions as just that.
Opinion and not the Gospel truth.  Unless the work in question is obviously
badly executed and my point with Joni is that it never has been.  In my
opinion anyway.

And yes, it's true, I am very sensitive about criticism of Joni.  Call me a
die-hard fan if you want.  I don't necessarily gush over or worship every
single thing she's done.  But her artistic integrity is absolutely
unquestionable to me.  I might say I don't like a particular song or that I
wish she would record something with a small jazz combo.  But that's my
opinion and I would never presume to make her choices for her.

Enough.  Everybody's asleep by now.  Wake up.   Lecture's over.   Class
dismissed.  (As if)

Mark E in Seattle