In a message dated 11/24/2002 12:36:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> But I really do get annoyed with critics who
> publish in newspapers or magazines or give oral reviews on tv or radio who
> are much more concerned with 'skewering' and making witty, scathing remarks
> than they are with actually doing any kind of real analysis or constructive
> criticism.

Very valid point, Mark...sometimes the reviewer attempts so many one-liners
and snide remarks that you can't tell if they even liked what they were
reviewing! (I'm sure that I'm guilty of this crime my own self!)

By the same token, we Joni fans tend to be very passionate about our
feelings, especially where Joni is concerned. So I can understand when
somebody gushes or skewers, even if I don't agree.

But a question...if I make a suggestion that perhaps what Joni "should have
done" on a track is..., is that not constructive criticism? I mean, I LOVE
the brief passages that Billy Preston adds to "Flat Tires"!!! That new color
is SO welcome, but I don't hear him anywhere else, and the B-3 (and Billy's
energy) would have complemented some other cuts here as well.

And where is Herbie Hancock? He's mentioned in every review, the only place
he's missing is on the CD!

I guess what I'm asking is - How would you define "constructive criticism" in
this case? I guess I'm only asking so that I can do a better job of it.

Bob

NP: Eddie From Ohio, "Big Yellow Taxi"

PS: My favorite "snide" review was one that Rex Reed wrote - he simply said
"No."