SCJoniGuy@coversRus writes insight akin to Tillich speaking of God:

> But dontcha think that Britney, Christina A, etc. also create and release
> cd's that are THEIR vision? And people here seem to have no problem ripping
> them to shreds because THEY don't like them - (and in most cases probably
> haven't even heard them. )
>
> I guess I just don't understand the difference in allowing someone to express
> their discontent or disappointment with Joni's work, even as they acknowledge
> that it's Joni's vision. It reeks of those high school days when kids all
> pretend to like the same bands/clothes/TV shows etc. so they can fit in, and
> anyone who dares to be different is criticized.
>
> Don't get me wrong - I'm not comparing Joni to a couple of disposable pop
> sensations. I'm just addressing the concept that Joni's "realized vision" may
> not suit some people, even some of her most faithful lifelong admirers, and
> that should be OK as opposed to a patronizing "awww".
>
> Travelogue may not be my particular cup of tea, but it really has more to do
> with me & my tastes, and not with Joni Mitchell & the execution of this
> project.
>
> Or maybe They Might Be Giants are right when they sing "People should get
> beat up for stating their beliefs"...

Respect for the artist whose vision we do not share, whose vision we cannot
discern, whose vision failed to us to be clear and insightful, who vision we
scorn, yet should be respected for their presenting there vision, as slight as
it might mean to us.

Respect for what doesn't work for us is always in order.  It is always a risk to
take what one has created, something that one has given life to and make it,
when expression of that artistic work makes the artist feel naked and vulnerable
by presenting their vision - so one one lays themselves bare to present their
vision,

whether it works for me,

I salute the artist for their courage and the attempt and recognize that it
simply may not work for me but might be real meaningful to others.

Vince