>>I was jobless, using myriad drugs and alcohol
like an idiot, I reacted to things based on the experience of my home
life (drunk and abusive father, angry mother, both of whom could *snap*
at a moment's notice), and my coping abilities were immature at best.
So I made the decision that I would not bring another life into this
world because I wasn't sure the baby would be healthy, and because I
couldn't deal with it.<,

lori it is so hard to second guess these things but i have a feeling you
made the responsible choice ...

this discussion makes me think of some friends who are trying to raise the
child of a woman who gave birth while using heavy drugs at the time (i
believe she is still using)..the father found out he was a father only when
the child was about 2 or maybe 3 years old & a lot of physical & emotional
damage had been done by then...

to his credit, when he found out he was a father he was able to get custody
of the child & has been raising her for about 4 years...(with his wife & her
daughter & a daughter they have together- both kids are younger)...however
his daughter whose mother (is still) a drug addict has some very severe
problems (extreme violence to herself & the other kids) which have greatly
endangered the other children in the family...after years of intense therapy
& trying meds they are not sure they are capable of raising this child & are
searching for a solution outside of sending her to an institution which is
what all the professionals recommend...a completely heartbreaking
situation...