Kakki --

I have tried to find a few sources for you that are objective, and if
anything err on the side of being easy on Reagan. Here are two:

"For Reagan, AIDS presented a number of potentially serious political risks.
As a presidential candidate, Reagan promised to eliminate the role of the
federal government in the limited American welfare state, as well as to
raise questions of morality and family in social policy. When AIDS was first
reported in 1981, Reagan had recently assumed office and had begun to
address the conservative agenda by slashing social programs and cutting
taxes and by embracing conservative moral principles. As a result, Reagan
never mentioned AIDS publicly until 1987. Most observers contend that AIDS
research and public education were not funded adequately in the early years
of the epidemic, at a time when research and public education could have
saved lives.

In the early 1980s, senior officials from the Department of Health and Human
Services pleaded for additional funding behind the scenes while they
maintained publicly, for political reasons, that they had enough resources.
The Reagan administration treated AIDS as a series of state and local
problems rather than as a national problem. This helped to fragment the
limited governmental response early in the AIDS epidemic.

AIDS could not have struck at a worse time politically. With the election of
Reagan in 1980, the "New Right" in American politics ascended. Many of those
who assumed power embraced political and personal beliefs hostile to gay men
and lesbians. Health officials, failing to educate about transmission and
risk behavior, undermined any chance of an accurate public understanding of
AIDS. The new conservatism also engendered hostility toward those with AIDS.
People with AIDS (PWAs) were scapegoated and stigmatized. It was widely
reported, as well, that New Right groups, such as the Moral Majority,
successfully prevented funding for AIDS education programs and counseling
services for PWAs. At various points in the epidemic, conservatives called
for the quarantining and tattooing of PWAs. Jerry Falwell, the leader of the
Moral Majority, was quoted as stating: "AIDS is the wrath of God upon
homosexuals."

This larger conservative climate enabled the Reagan administration's
indifference toward AIDS. THE ADMINISTRATION UNDERCUT FDERAL EFFORTS TO
CONFRONT AIDS IN A MEANINGFUL WAY BY REFUSING TO SPEND THE MONEY CONGRESS
ALLOCATED FOR AIDS RESEARCH (my caps). In the critical years of 1984 and
1985, according to his White House physician, Reagan thought of AIDS as
though "it was measles and it would go away." Reagan's biographer Lou Cannon
claims that the president's response to AIDS was "halting and ineffective."
It took Rock Hudson's death from AIDS in 1985 to prompt Reagan to change his
personal views, although members of his administration were still openly
hostile to more aggressive government funding of research and public
education. Six years after the onset of the epidemic, Reagan finally
mentioned the word "AIDS" publicly at the Third International AIDS
Conference held in Washington, D.C. Reagan's only concrete proposal at this
time was widespread routine testing."

SOURCE: http://www.thebody.com/encyclo/presidency.html

If you feel that the above may be slanted, read the government's own
version, from the website of the NIH:

"The first victims of AIDS were homosexual men and intravenous drug users.
These findings enmeshed AIDS in the moral politics of the first Reagan
administration. Reagan's domestic policy staff feared that a discussion of
AIDS would involve the administration in explicit debates over sexual
practices and drug use, likely to alienate mainstream voters. So a
coordinated public response was lacking. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop did
not become a member of the Assistant Secretary's Executive Task Force on
AIDS until 1985, four years after the CDC first noted its occurrence. He was
not asked to produce a report on AIDS until early 1986, a belated response
to the scale of the epidemic."

SOURCE:  http://sgreports.nlm.nih.gov/NN/Views/Exhibit/narrative/aids.html

I cannot find the quote, but Koop somewhere said that Reagan personally
hated gays, and that hatred was at the core of his actions/inaction. Some
speculate that this was in part due to issues that he had about his son's
sexuality. To put this inaction into perspective, Reagan appropriated $14
million within a week of the death of a handful of straight white men, for
the study of "Legionnaire's Disease."

Also, make no mistake, what was finally done was done in response to years
of grass roots politics. In New York, in the early eighties, priests and
Rabbis were lining up to applaud God's glorious wrath upon the filthy
faggots. If not for groups like Act Up and GMHC, no doubt many more straight
women, among others, would have perished.

Best,

David