my guess is that the poem he sends makes her realize that he is not going to
be returning or taking part in the child's life as a parent so the child has
'lost' her father but is 'lost' to the mother who is the sole parent...kind
of a creative way of saying all that in only 3 words...imo

i think the you has to refer to the same person (joni) because otherwise its
just too awkward

>> I also have a Joni line that bothers me a little, and I wonder what your
thoughts will be.
 In Little Green, there are these lines where the mother tells the
father about the child and he responds with a poem:

           He went to California
           Hearing that everything's warmer there
           So you write him a letter and say, "Her eyes are blue"
           He sends you a poem and she's lost to you
           Little Green, he's a non-conformer<<