--- Sarah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > That's what
confession is.  You confess to a priest,
> not directly to
> god.  The whole protestant/catholic schism came
> about precisely
> because of the Catholic belief that a relationship
> with god should be
> mediated.  The early protestants wanted to believe
> they could have a
> direct relationship with god, bypassing the
> authority of the church.

Oh well, I thought you were talking about praying.
Some might argue that confessing to a priest is not
unlike talking to a therapist although most priests
seem quite bored by the whole thing - i'm sure they've
heard so many so-called sins that they just roll their
eyes at the whole thing (that's probably why they're
behind that screen - so they can make faces without
the person seeing them!)

I thought the schism was because Henry VIII couldn't
make up his mind whether he wanted to be married to
his brother's widow or some other chick.

=====
Catherine
Toronto