> Nick ( or anyone else ) have you worked with EJB 2.x stuff?

Yep, it's all we use at eBlox. We use Resin as our EJB and servlet
container and it has served us very well. The crucial savings comes through
the use of CMR and EJB-QL. We use local entity beans so performance hasn't
been an issue for us. (Resin also does simple read caching).

Rick Hightower (JUG member and esteemed colleague) has written several
Tutorials on EJB 2.X/CMP. You can find an index of them here:

http://www.rickhightower.com/ejbcmpcmrtut.html

There's one specific to Resin at:

http://java-tools.eblox.com/index.php?ResinCMPCMRXDocletTutorial

Cheers,