Dear SS (and others)

Could you let me know ehat the status is for the use of Java 1.6 - has a
decision been made to move OpenJump, or is it still a work in progress.

Geoff

Stefan Steiniger wrote:
> Hei Christopher
>
> thanks for your outline :)
> I actually have not that much background knowledge to evaluate if what
> you do propose is good, but I guess you know it better. But modularity
> is always a plus and documentation is sufficient. However.. a good rule
> is to always start with a simple model and extend it later. I.e. one
> could also make first all in one and then introduce modularity later.
>
> btw. Today I just stumbled across this article that has been published
> this month:
> "Sweep-line algorithm for constrained Delaunay triangulation"
> http://www.informaworld.com/openurl?genre=article&issn=1365%2d8816&volume=22&issue=4&spage=449
>
> If there is need I can send it to you. Note, that it is a 2D algorithm
> (brwosing the article shortly). I actually have needs too for 2D CDT's..
> in map generalization.
>
> cheers
> stefan
>
> Christopher wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the radio silence, I've been a thinking
>> philosopher not an eating philosopher. I can only hope
>> a fork and food are there when I need them ;)
>>
>>  I've been reading the papers of the computational
>> geometry "heros" and thinking of an overall framework
>> for the TIN side of things. I just got my copy of
>> "Foundations of Multidimensional and Metric Data
>> Structures" by Hanan Samet yesterday and it is already
>> proving a valuable resource.
>>
>> Broadly speaking, I want to structure the TIN
>> import/creation side as a serial chain. Each node in
>> the stream would either gather statistics about the
>> stream flowing through it, alter the input stream into
>> an changed version of the current type of stream, or
>> alter the input stream into a different kind of output
>> stream altogether.
>>
>> Suppose we had defined streams of DataSource (file,
>> database, WMS, etc), Geometry, Point, LineString,
>> GeometryCollection, and TINface. Then we can have a
>> bunch of small modules that process these streams in
>> different ways that can then themselves be combined in
>> different ways given the need. For instance, one
>> module could take an I/O stream from a USGS NED .bif
>> elevation file then output a stream of Points. Another
>> module could take a stream of Points, perform a simple
>> random insertion Delaunly algorithm, then output a
>> stream of TINfaces. The final module down the line
>> would take the TINfaces and output an instance of a
>> TIN. An alternate final module could take save the TIN
>> to a file or even a database.
>>
>> Some benefits of this structure include:
>> * being able to use the same module in very different
>> types of chains.
>> * modules in each layer (ie you could have different
>> Delaunly algorithms for PointStream -> TINface
>> transition) could be easily swapped around, making
>> this a great research platform.
>> * by using Paul's JCSP lib, the different nodes on a
>> stream could be run concurrently allowing for
> [...]

Dr Geoffrey G Roy
Cadplan
129 Gloster Street, Subiaco WA 6008
Tel: (08) 9381 4870  Fax: (08) 9382 4459
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cadplan.com.au