On Fri, 9 Jun 2023 at 19:15, Andrey Kostin <ank...@podolsk.ru> wrote:

> Can anything else be inserted in this socket? If not, then what's the
> point? For server CPUs there are many models with different clocking and
> number of cores, so socket provides a flexibility. If there is only one
> chip that fits the socket, then the socket is a redundant part.

Not that I know. I think the point may be decouplement. BRCM doesn't
want to do business with just everyone. This allows someone to build
the switch, without providing the chips. Then customers can buy a
switch from this vendor and chip directly from BRCM.
I could imagine some big players like FB and AMZN designing their own
switch, having some random shop actually build it. But Broadcom saying
'no, we don't do business with you'.  This way they could actually get
the switch from anywhere, while having a direct chip relationship with
BRCM.

--
  ++ytti