I've been wondering how I've never heard about the ram air issue with the
Ellison.  I suppose it's because mine is top mounted with a centered cowl scoop
that forces the inlet air to do a 180°.  It then goes through a carb heat box
and into the Ellison.  Top mount is a good idea.  Steve Bennett fabricated a
custom intake manifold for it when he owned the plane.   I don't see them
advertised on GPAS so I guess one would need to do their own fabrication
instead of buying a ready-made.  Or maybe it's in their catalog and I just
didn't see it.  It's a more confusing catalog than when Steve & Linda owned it.
 Maybe one of the other VW engine outfits like Hummel or that outfit in Germany
has a top manifold ready made.  It seems a cleaner solution than hauling air up
from the bottom, plus it eliminates other issues that may be the result of long
intake tubes.

For anyone who wants to do some reading and don't already know about Bob
Hoover, here's the link.  He was close friends with Steve for many years.

https://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/hvx-mods.html
MikeKSEE