Hello Tom, *,
On Sonntag, 13. Oktober 2013 12:54 Tom Davies wrote:
> I tend to dislike "must not" too.  It's soo authoritarian that it
> makes me want to go against it or to find out why not by
> experimentation.  I prefer things like; should avoid try not to
> please don't
> it's worth avoiding ...  because ...
> and other such less definite equivalents.  Even better is if you
> can flip it around to say the positive instead.

just out of interest (as you have not written something about it):
What is usually used in English?

> 3.  Looks clunky.  I do prefer the 3rd way of writing it but can
> now see the problem that Sophie was trying to avoid.  Perhaps
> <quote> There should not more than one entry with the same
> contents in the help directory because it will break the index
> display in the help UI. </quote> Perhaps instead of "contents" it
> might be better to use another word such as; text, value, errr i
> can't think of others but maybe Anne-ology might know a much
> better choice.

Than I would prefer "with the same text" ... ;)

> In 5 & 6 i agree with Sophie.  It is less elegant but is less
> likely to create confusion.  When a number of tags get combined
> (as in "-rin") it almost looks like a word that might need to be
> translated whereas separately they are clearly tags/options.
> People probably wouldn't try to translate "-r -i -n".

Just out of interest: Why would you translate parameters, options
(and the like) of an command (or the name of it itself)?

> There are tags that are entire words and those might need
> translating,

Why? Usually the command itself as well as its parameter, options
and the like are – IIRC – never translated. It is something
completeley different with its help, manpages, info and the like,
but I may be wrong here ... ;)

> for example with the rsync command there is
> "--partial" and "--progress" but a)  Those have a double "-" sign
> b)  Only translate if the under-laying OS is in a non-English
> language and only if the particular command has been translated
> There are too many ifs there so it's probably worth avoiding those
> sorts of tags

On my system (Debian Testing AMD64), neither of them is translated.
Also its help text is in English here, although I have installed
with locale "de_DE.UTF-8" ... ;)

> 7  "Escape character" might be written as "escaping character"
> without changing the meaning.  The grammar of the sentence might
> require an "ing", or else the term would need to be defined.  Devs
> and coders might have a more precise meaning for the term but i
> think the usage is sufficiently close and is readily understood by
> normal users without explanation.

O.K.

> General notes
>
> It is good to learn about built-in help available on the
> command-line and easy to look-up without going off and opening a
> web-browser but i agree with Sophie that it is all really a
> subject for other books and faqs and there are plenty of them
> already!  People still don't know all about all this and there is
> no reason they should.  I hadn't known of "info" until this post
> so thanks for that! :)

You are welcome :)

> I generally use "--help" or "-h" to get a

Me too, but sometimes it is not that informative or misses some "use
case" examples ... And then I find "man $program" or "info program"
faster than switching to another workspace, start a browser (or if
it is started already, to open a new tab) ... ;)

<snip>
> The "man" pages give a LOT more detail but it's awkward to keep
> them open while typing on the command-line itself (unless you open
> it in a new windows or tab).

This is, how I do it: Try $program in one tab of konsole and if I
want to know something, I press <Ctrl>+<shift>+<T> to open a new
tab, enter "man $program" (or "info $program"), read through it (or
if I want to do something special, then I press "/" to search the
manpage, enter – say I want to find out, if it is possible to copy
something – "copy" and read it there ... ;)

> Also it took me ages to realise that
> it was a "vi" editor and that i could escape by using
> :q

He he, reminds me on my first experiences with the command line ...
;)

> before that i was a bit stuck because even "Ctrl c" wouldn't get
> me back to the command-line and i'd have to close the "terminal
> console" / "command-prompt window".  Now i know about ":q" it's
> easier for me.

And do not forget ":wq" to save before closing ... ;)

<snip>
> Anyway, nicely done!  Especially with 3.  That was a good catch :)

Thank you :)
Thomas.

<Rest snipped and TOFU removed, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting>

--
Basically my wife was immature. I'd be at home in the bath and she'd
come in and sink my boats.